Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hike to the St. George Society cliffs

I'd heard differing accounts from other hikers on whether or not I could hike to the base of the St. George Society cliffs, so I decided Sunday to give it a try.

The route there takes me past Uluksan point.  These dogs were lounging in one of the ancient house foundations:


Some of the sights on the way along the beach:


I thought this piece of fallen shale (correct rock?) was pretty cool, the way it separated into paper-like sheets when it fell.  The beach along here is black sand.


I liked this gap in these cliffs as I walked along:


Getting there- had to squeeze past these black cliffs that went right to the water.  Luckily, it was low-ish tide, on a day with low tides anyway, and I could also step onto the ice in places to get around:


I thought the view the other way was pretty cool too:


In the end, I couldn't get all the way to the St. George Society cliffs (or didn't want to try, as I was hiking alone), but I got close enough to get a great view of them:


What a gorgeous day it was, the weather has just been so perfect for weeks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment