Monday, May 23, 2011

Iceberg

In the many years I've been working in Nunavut, I've never had the chance to walk out to an iceberg frozen in the ice.  I've seen icebergs many times, usually during open-water season.  This year in Grise Fiord, there is a small iceberg within walking distance of town, around a mile and a half out.  It was May 21 that I walked out there.

That's the berg in the distance, upper left:


Once I got closer to it, I could see that it was melted out in the middle to form two lobes:



I took quite a few photos- it's beautiful.  There's dirt on this iceberg- it was either attached to land at some point or has been resting on the sea floor during low tides at some point in it's existence.












1 comment:

  1. Wow these photos are gorgeous! Any idea how old these bergs are??

    ReplyDelete