Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spock's Rocks

Yesterday we took a little road trip out to see the Vasquez Rocks.  These are a little bit north of Los Angeles, near Santa Clarita.   They're famous for being the set for the worst fight scene ever (12.5 million YouTube hits can't be wrong) from the first season of Star Trek.

They're pretty amazing:



Here is Gorn, back in 1966, at the start of the famous fight scene :


And me, 47 years later in 2013:


Here is a screen capture from the Star Trek Movie at another spot in the rocks.  The mountains on the right were digitally added, the one on the left is the real one:


... and here are the guys from Big Bang Theory doing their tribute at the same spot ...


And me, same spot:


Here are a few more photos of the rocks and the hike we did around the park that they are in.  Spot me in the one below...


The rocks have these interesting craters in them - it seems from looking at other spots, that other rocks were embedded in this sedimentary rock and then came dislodged over the years, and the spots eroded out:






I loved this curvy rock formation, very surreal:




... and that was our trip to Spock's (Vasquez) Rocks!  I know I am completely unreliable when I say to stay tuned, but I do have photos from trips to Death Valley (back in December) and Joshua Tree (earlier in March) National Parks, and I am going to post them, so don't go away!  Or... don't go away too far, and keep an ear out for when I post them ...

No comments:

Post a Comment