Thursday, December 26, 2013

Joshua Tree National Park

As the year draws to a close, I am feeling increasingly guilty that I still have never posted my photos from my trip last March to Joshua Tree National Park.  So ... today is the day ... that I start, at least.  It's not quite a New Year's Resolution, more of a training resolution ... but I will show you my evidence that I visited this very interesting place.

It's a very accessible national park, too.  It's around 3 hours drive east of Los Angeles, depending on traffic.  For most of that drive you are still in the built-up area of greater L.A., and even after you leave the city you are soon into more built-up areas.  The park is a gem sitting between the ex-urban sprawl.

So to start things off ... let's look at some Joshua Trees!  Our arrival day, March 11, we just did a couple of short trails around the western edge of the park.


Here's a close up of some Joshua tree foliage:


They don't grow very thickly in their arid conditions:



Some of them get pretty bushy:


This shows how close the park is to the surrounding communities - this is looking north, at the west end of the park.


So that is just a taste to start, but I am coming back very soon with more ... really!

No comments:

Post a Comment