Monday, May 6, 2019

Grise Fiord again

I'll take a pause from re-living last year's trip to Banff.  I am now in Grise Fiord, I have started working in the arctic again.  I've been away since July of 2016.  Feels good to be back.

For contrast, here is the Rideau River in Ottawa just after takeoff:


Ice between northern Quebec and Baffin Island as we fly north:


The new airport terminal in Iqaluit. It was my first time there, I think they opened it in late 2016 or early 2017:


I liked my lunch on the flight to Resolute.  The chicken club sandwich was great, and the Biscoff cookies and Laura Secord chocolate bar were delicious too.


The plane lands now in Pond Inlet on the way to Resolute.  This view is of a piece of Sirmilik National Park (I think, or close to it if not) as we fly over the north end of Baffin Island:


I ended up stuck in Resolute for a day due to high winds, here is a view from my hotel room on April 26 as I watch the flag on the RCMP detachment flap violently:



Here are a few photos of my flight to Grise from Resolute on April 27.  Here we are crossing the NW lobe of Devon Island:



Grise Fiord, the fiord itself and not the town, as we fly in:


Ice patterns in the tidal zone near shore:


I had around 7 feet of legroom on the plane!  Luxury.  There were only 2 of us on the flight:


Nice clouds as I was out skiing in Grise Fiord on April 30:


More nice clouds while skiing on May 1:


... that's all for now.  I'll update later if I get some more nice weather pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment