Monday, September 9, 2019

Diverted to Fort McPherson

On August 29 I flew north from Edmonton, destination Sachs Harbour.  I didn't have a window seat until we got past Yellowknife and to Norman Wells, NWT.

Here is my plane parked at Norman Wells during the stop there:


It was overcast for pretty much the whole flight.  When we came out of the clouds on approach to Inuvik, I got this photo of the tundra and lakes of the Mackenzie Delta area, where the vegetation is transitioning from boreal forest to tundra around the treeline:


When I went to the Aklak Air counter to check in for my flight to Sachs Harbour, they told me my flight had been cancelled.  They waved me into a back office where someone from the regional travel department told me that I was being sent to Fort McPherson instead, as they had an urgent need there.  Another nurse who had also been diverted to go there met up with me at the airport, and we hopped into a cab to go to the Inuvik hospital, to get more info.


After 90 minutes or so there, another cab came and picked us up to take us to Fort McPherson, which is a 2.5 hour drive south on the Dempster Highway, which is famous with RV drivers who can drive to the arctic ocean (the road ends at Tuktoyaktuk).

Here we are crossing the Rainbow River:


Just a photo taken from the back seat as we drove.  It's obviously peak yellow season with the fall colours.


Here we are descending into the Mackenzie River valley, to get on the ferry across it.


The ferry ride was short but fun:



Banks of the Mackenzie River as we crossed on the ferry:



This is the community of Tsiigehtchic, where the ferry docks on the other side:


This is the Dempster Highway at the turn into Fort McPherson, which I am standing on, I took this photo that evening on a walk.  The highway is curving off southward at the right of the photo.




No comments:

Post a Comment