Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City

While I'm not a religious person myself, I do find extreme religion interesting, and really enjoyed my stay in Salt Lake City, Utah.  I'll have lots of photos to show you of my trip, mostly of hikes, but to start off, here are some of the Temple downtown, taken on a couple of different days.






This building below is called an annex and entrance to the temple- the temple is not open for tours and non-Mormons are not allowed to enter, so I am guessing they keep the doors locked and church members enter underground through this annex building.


While people can't tour the temple, they do have a nice model of it in one of the visitor's centre.  I find it interesting how the temple is divided up into several rooms and levels, rather than having one main room as most churches do.  The temple is used mostly for baptisms and weddings, while services are held at the Tabernacle next door (which I'll show you later).



The east and west sides of the temple have many smaller rooms... you can see my reflection in this one:


This is a close-up of the room in the basement where they do full-immersion baptisms.


Lots more Salt Lake City to come... stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment