Thursday, October 13, 2011

Mud Lake / Britannia conservation area

Yet another good thing about the location of my condo is that it's a 10 minute walk to one of the trailheads for the Mud Lake / Britannia conservation area.  This is a pond right beside the Ottawa River, surrounded by forest and a trail that goes around it.

One of the best kept secrets of the trail... a forest monster!


Here are some pics from my hike around the lake.  It was an overcast day, and the fall colours aren't quite as glorious this year as they could be, but it's still a very nice hike.










At the north end of the conservation area you come out to a little channel of the Ottawa river:







I love how Ottawa has these little bits of semi-wilderness tucked into the city.  This trail was around a 1-hour hike.  There are lots of small side trails to explore, I didn't do all of them, saved a few for another day.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos... I love the fall! Thanks for sharing with me the trees in all their glory! It's one thing I miss living in the arctic... :) Sarah

    ReplyDelete