Saturday, November 9, 2019

Deep-dish pizza

Almost everything you can get in the States you can get here in Canada.  Once exception, at least in our neck of the woods, is deep-dish pizza.  You can't even get the frozen ones that you can order from Chicago, because they have to cross the border.

I've been meaning to try making one here for a while, and last weekend I finally got around to it.

Here are the ingredients laid out.  Dough is on the left, the greased cookie sheet is to make breadsticks out of any remaining pizza dough.


The dough rises in the fridge over a 30 hour period, punched down once after around 8 hours.  It doesn't need to be rolled out, you just press it into the pan.  It doesn't like staying up the sides though, it would slip down again by the time I got around the whole rim, but eventually it stayed up far enough to make the pizzas.


Here is one of them (I made two), and it's baked in a genuine Lou Malnati (famous Chicago pizza place) pan, Ed had ordered it online a while back. 


Verdict?  Pretty good!  I think I even like my crust better than theirs.  Toppings were sausage and spinach, in addition to the cheeses (mozzarella, romano and parmesan) and the canned tomato/sauce mix.

I forgot to take pictures of the bread sticks (which I had double-brushed with garlic butter after they came out of the oven), but I think I might have liked them even more than the pizza.

I plan to make this again, but it takes planning ahead of time due to the long rise for the dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment