Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 6: Across Oklahoma into Arkansas

Another good driving day, sunny with temps around 5-7C.  This photo is from the eastern part of the Texas Panhandle, where the landscape is gently rolling.


Below are some windmills in Oklahoma:


There was a funny road sign at Clinton, Oklahoma that I didn't get a picture of.  It was a big billboard that said "Clinton: Last Gas for 200 miles".  I said to myself, "WHAT?  That's not what my research told me!"  And then noticed the fine print on the billboard, where it said underneath "(just kidding)".  Having driven through so many deserts on this trip where there really isn't any gas for up to 100 miles, I found that pretty funny.

This is from the eastern part of Oklahoma, where a bit of forest appears here and there.

 

Coming into Van Buren, Arkansas:

 

I noticed the reappearance of rivers and lakes today, hadn't seen those over the western part of the continent.  Oklahoma looks a lot like southern Ontario to me.  There's more traffic here than in Texas and the states further west, but it wasn't too bad.

Tomorrow I'll be driving into Tennessee.  I don't think I'm going to go to Graceland after all- the timing is awkward, and it's $35 admission PLUS parking, which is more than I spent to go to the Grand Canyon!  I'll probably go through Memphis and then stop somewhere between there and Nashville for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment