Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Grilled" veggie sandwich


I've always liked those grilled veggie sandwiches you can get at restaurants as a vegetarian item, but I rarely order them as they don't seem like a good value (all that money for just vegetables on a bun!).  So, I made one at home.

I guess the restaurants earn their money, they are a bit labour intensive, but I made enough for six sandwiches at once.  I lightly fried my veggies though, just to soften them a tad, each one separately, and it didn't take as long as I thought it would.  Onions first in a smidge of oil in a non-stick pan, then mushrooms and red pepper strips after that, which oozed some fluid and made a nice thin coat with the remaining molecules of oil on the pan, to then soften the eggplant and zucchini slices in.  I used a flavoured mayo (just miracle whip with Italian herbs), and then topped it with havarti cheese and put it under the broiler for a minute to melt it.

It's really good!  Sandwich #1 is labour intensive, but #2-6 are just assemble, broil and eat.  Fast food, without the shortened lifespan.

No comments:

Post a Comment