Friday, November 19, 2010

Hollywoodland stairs

You know the Hollywood sign?  Well, when it was first built back in the 1920's, it read "Hollywoodland" and was a sign advertising a new housing subdivision in the Hollywood Hills.  When they built the streets, they put in some pedestrian staircases to connect them.   I went to check them out on November 9.

The neighborhood itself is beautiful, so a lot of my photos are of those streets.  The streets are narrow and winding, very village-like.


This is a prickly pear cactus:


Here's the first staircase.  If I hadn't researched the stairs and where to find them on the internet, I would have assumed this was someone's private stairs up to their yard.  Nope, public staircase, and this is just the start of it- the staircases range from 117 to 176 steps in height.


Blurry photo but look closely- there's a coyote on the stairs!  Luckily, he was more afraid of me than I was of him.  When other walkers approached from the other direction he went into a backyard.


The staircases themselves are very nice, stone steps that were reinforced with concrete around a decade or so ago.

 


One of the yards that is adjacent to one of the stairs.  Pretty steep!


These steps were very European, right up against a house.  There are planters down the middle:



Some street and houses-on-hills photos:






I liked this garden gate:


A view of the Hollywood sign:




The house on the right is interesting- looks like a castle facing the street, but in behind it is a fairly non-descript house, the castle is just a facade (how shocking!)



This was my favourite street, isn't it pretty?


The stairs were a good workout- they didn't take too much out of me at the time, but my legs were sore for a few days afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. I'd rather climb those stairs that use a Stair Master anytime! Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete