Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My car starts the drive back without me

When I started planning my trip to return to Canada, it occurred to me that I really didn't want to drive the whole way across the continent again.  Three times was already around one more time than I needed to do it.  No need for a fourth.

The first two times were definitely worth it- I took two different routes, and saw lots of the continent that I had never seen before; the landscape changing gradually through the windshield and side windows of the car.  The third time was a good drive, but definitely more of a grind as I'd been that way before.

I got some quotes to have the car shipped and checked to see what airfare would be on top of that, and I decided to ship it.  It's more expensive to do it this way, but buys me another 10 days or so in beautiful, warm, sunny southern California.  It also saves me 9 days on the road (I don't drive long hours when travelling alone, as I want to be off the road at night, avoid rush hours in cities as much as possible, and don't want to get over tired for safety reasons.).

The car was picked up tonight.  Here it is getting loaded on the truck:




If all goes according to plan, the car should arrive in Ottawa around the time I do, which is March 7.  It heads to Phoenix from here, then makes it's way up to Detroit, where it gets transferred to a Canadian hauler for the last leg through Ontario, if I understand correctly.

2 comments:

  1. Look forward to seeing you soon N. Enjoy your trip back. Good thing you're not coming tomorrow - storm expected. We'll be in Ottawa for a skate and a ski this weekend, but I'm sure we'll be back. We enjoyed the variety of LA treats you sent at Xmas...those M & M's looked pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shipping your car was a wise move as it was very convenient on your part. You didn't have to worry about anything because the shipping company took charge for your vehicle to get into Canada. You got to avoid the long stressful drive and you had extra time to enjoy the city. :D

    ReplyDelete