Monday, November 22, 2010

Extreme Exposure


A week or so ago I went to a photography exhibit here in Los Angeles that has an arctic connection.  The exhibit was on four photographers who do "extreme photography".

One of the photographers featured was Paul Nicklen, who I met in 2006 when I was in Arctic Bay.  He was staying at the B&B there at the same time I was.  He was roughing it a little more than me though- on that trip he was actually mostly living at the floe edge, photographing for articles for National Geographic on narwhal and on either sea ice or the floe edge itself, can't remember exactly.

The exhibit was very interesting- the other photographers specialized in volcanoes, Florida swamps, and pacific redwoods (I'm generalizing, but that's what they were known for).  I think Paul's work conditions looked the most dangerous and grueling, as a mostly underwater arctic and antarctic photographer.  His photos were very cool, and a couple from his 2006 trip were among the ones being shown.  One of his dry suits was also on display.

The show was at the Annenberg Space for Photography.  It's in Century City, which is a largely boring commercial high rise district in west L.A.  This exhibit is on for 6 months, and ends April 11, 2011.  If anyone from L.A. is reading this, I recommend taking it in.

Here are a few photos I took while there of the buildings around the museum (the museum didn't allow photography inside).

I like the optical illusion this one gives of bending the edges of the photo:


A bunch of Century City buildings as sunset approaches:


I think this one's the Fox tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment