Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Not raining!


It hasn't rained here since October 14.  I was worried then that, with two consecutive days of rain, that the "rainy season" had begun, but all remains dry for 42 consecutive days now, with nothing more extreme than the risk of partial cloud in the long-range forecast.  Today's version of "the sky is not cloudy all day" is pictured at the right.

Temperatures are in the low 80's this week, warm and dry.  Today it peaked at 78 (~25C), felt warmer though.  As I was walking home from the pool, a young woman wearing one of those cellphones that looks like a hearing aid was complaining to her invisible companion, "it feels like it's 90".  She then elaborated, "no, it ISN'T 90, it just feels like it".

Yikes.  The weather here is beyond perfect and there's always someone who's not happy with it.  In her case, if she'd worn shorts and a T-shirt instead of long pants and a sweater, perhaps it would help her cope with the "heat".

That's the funny thing here though- everyone is out and about in their fall fashions.  Last week when I was at the Beverly Center (upscale mall in Beverly Hills) I felt very "different" walking around, but couldn't put my finger on why.  After all, I was wearing my nicest and very respectable shorts, and my expensive ladies-boutique-procured T-shirt.  Then I started studying my fellow patrons... they were dressed in long pants, jackets, sweaters, boots, the occasional scarf, and largely in black.  It was in the high 70's that day too!  I had walked there, and even on the shady side of the street I was on the cusp of breaking a sweat in my T-shirt and shorts.

I don't know how they do it!  I don't know why they do it!  You do occasionally need long pants and a light jacket (evenings, early mornings), but why not make the most of a perfect climate and dress for the relentlessly perfect southern California weather, instead of pretending it's Boston or New York City?

Well, I'm going to make the most of it, and you won't hear me complaining about a dry 78 degrees anytime soon.  I might be getting spoiled, but I'll never be that spoiled!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I guess people get used to their weather and do not realize how nice it may be. Remember when you go through Ottawa style July and August when the first cool evenings pf September arrive: 12C is cold when the only thing you had for two months is 25 - 30C... Then think about how we behave here in April after an Ottawa winter: it gets up to 5C with sun and people walk around outside with short sleeves and wish the patios open soon... Actually feels warm after the -25C we have in the previous weeks and months. My two cents.

    Here its about 4-5C in the day and -3 - -5C at night. Winter is closing-in.

    ReplyDelete