Monday, April 4, 2011

The L.A. Zoo

I still have some photos from L.A. to show you.  These are from January, when I visited the Los Angeles Zoo.  I'll just show you a few of them.

This is Reggie the alligator.  His claim to fame (and he really is famous!) is that he was a fugitive in the south bay area of Los Angeles from 2005 to 2007.  He had been released by people illegally raising exotic animals.  He's enjoying retirement now at the zoo:


The elephants at the L.A. zoo are somewhat controversial, they were brought from the San Diego zoo and many thought they should have gone to an animal sanctuary instead.  I'm not sure if this is one of the two new elephants below, or their existing elephant.  They do have a large and beautiful enclosure, it's at the centre of the zoo.


Bedtime for flamingos came before the zoo closed.  Did you know they sleep standing on one leg?  I didn't!  One theory is that they do it to conserve heat and energy... yeah, when I want a good night's sleep I stand around on one leg too!  But then, I am not a flamingo.


Does anyone else think that maybe they should have domesticated zebras instead of horses?  They are just so cool!


I couldn't look at the sign below without thinking of decommissioned zoo animals.  Maybe they just serve veggie burgers!


It's definitely not for gorillas though, they have their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment