Sunday, October 24, 2010

Tusayan ruins

In the eastern part of the Grand Canyon National park, there's a Pueblo Indian archeological site that dates back to 1200.

I overheard the guide who was working in the museum tell another visitor that the ruins have not been reconstructed at all, just excavated.  The three rooms in the ruins below were storerooms if I remember correctly:


This room below was a ceremonial room:


These were living quarters:


This is the museum building.  I like the stone architecture of a lot of the park buildings:


I swore I'd remember the name of the mountain you get a glimpse of from this site.  It's the tallest mountain in Arizona, or the area, but I think they said the whole state.  Mount Some Guy, I think.  Some armchair tour guide I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment